Tuesday, November 3, 2009

An Atheist going to Church


Today, I will go to church. I am going to church because that is where my place of voting is. Now, I'm not worried that God will smite the unbeliever for stepping foot on his sacred ground. What really upsets me is that we're supposed to separate church from state, and yet here we are having an election in a church.

There is no sermon, but the feeling is there. I wonder how many people have been influenced in their voting by being forced to vote in a church? People who claim to be Christian but don't go to church very often may be influenced by stepping in the church, intending to vote on an issue one way but after being reminded by the presence of all the religious paraphernalia that they should vote the way they think "God" wants them to vote.

Not to mention, its free advertising for the Church. To me, voting is compulsory. Therefore, I am being forced by t he state to go to a church. I would love to be able to force people into my place of business, not only force them but give them the impression that I am doing a great service to the community by letting them use my building for this purpose. I know that I could vote early by mail, but often information about an issue or candidate becomes available at the last possible minute. I don't want to regret voting for something or someone if the position changes the day before the election.

It's not as if there aren't plenty of non-religious public buildings we could use for our election. I have no problem going to a school to vote, or a post office, or a fire station, even the police station. I just think Churches have no business hosting elections in a society that proclaims to have freedom of (or from) religion.


If you're a Christian who thinks I'm making a big stink about nothing, how would you feel if the state put your polling location in a strip club? Personally, I'd much rather go to a strip club than a church. I think strip clubs are more honest with people, for one. They also already have poles.

No comments:

Post a Comment