Monday, October 26, 2009

God and Depression


I am not going to go on about Determinism or the Psychology of the human mind vis a vis the Chemicals that are in it, but I'm briefly going to touch on this: It is a well known fact that our brains are influenced by chemicals. People who have suffered hormonal imbalances can attest to the fact that chemicals can control your mood, your state of well being.

These hormone problems can be subtle, such as making you sad or making it harder for you to fall asleep. It can also be severe, causing things like rage, and suicide. Hormone problems can cause you to gain weight, and lose weight.

Face it, weather you like it or not, it is documented scientific fact that part of your behavior is influenced by chemicals that your body naturally produces. If these chemicals are at what is considered normal levels, then your chances of being a healthy, well-balanced individual are greatly increased.

Before I move on to the point, I want to be clear that just because you have normal hormones doesn't mean you're automatically going to be a good person. Nor do I wish to say that if you have abnormal hormones you're automatically going to do bad things.

Christians claim that God gave Humans free will, that they may love him or hate him of their own volition. Yet if you believe in "Creation", you must believe that God put chemicals in our brains that in the right conditions can strongly influence us to do things like suicide which would send us directly to Hell in the Christian context.

I know. I've had feelings like this before.

I am treated for my depression by science. The problems I had in the past have been corrected. Its scary to know that your body can influence you to do something terrible, especially as there is no reason to do so. I have a good life. There's no rational reason why I would want to end it. However, under the influence of the wrong balance of brain chemicals, all I can see is gloom, doom and despair.

Should I leave myself to solely to religion and claim that the Devil is putting these thoughts in my head? Should I pray unceasingly for God to help me with my struggles? Or should I go to a Doctor, be properly diagnosed and then treated with medicine that fixes the problem?

The real question here is this, if someone does harm to themselves or others while suffering a hormonal imbalance, does God damn them to Hell? I've had many Christians tell me that suicide is an unforgivable Sin, that anyone who commits suicide is going straight to Hell. Frankly, if that's the case, its another example of God being an immortal dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment